Airport Express getting flaky -- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mneblett, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mneblett macrumors 6502

I have an Airport Express, purchased 10/2012, model A1392 (the Mac Mini mini-me shape). 17 months old, so out of warranty. Tried the local Apple Store, no luck there.

The issue is a lack of signal on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands starting a few days ago. All devices in the house lose their wifi connection to the Express at the same time, so it looks the AE is the problem, not the 5-6 phones/iPad/laptops. The Express occasionally will put out enough signal for devices to connect, but almost immediately drops the connections.

I suspect that the Express is pretty close to the "He's dead, Jim" state (dying/dead internal power supply?).

Two questions:

Is this a known problem with this generation Airport Express?

Is there a fix?

I'm fairly good at hacking things apart and waving a soldering iron around, with usually only a few left over parts when I'm done. I hate to throw out an otherwise usable piece of equipment, especially such a short time after giving the Mothership my $99, if a bit of hacking will restore it to life.

All suggestions welcome!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. mneblett thread starter macrumors 6502

A huge Thanks! I have AppleCare on my late '13 rMBP, so the Express should be covered. :)