Airport express good enough for college dorm room?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crooks, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Crooks macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm heading off to college and need a wifi router. I'm living in a dorm room-will the airport express be good enough for me? Or should I get the extreme?

All I plan to do is do some gaming on my console as well as some web browsing, homework and occasionally some Netflix streaming.

It'll be for me and my roommate. Should it be good enough?

Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As a router it's more than adequate. Consider a refurb last-generation Time Capsule instead if you need a backup solution for your MacBook but otherwise I'd definitely go for the Express.

3. cxc273 macrumors regular

An Airport Express should work perfectly for a dorm room. You may want to make sure your dorm doesn't offer wireless before buying one, however.

4. Crooks thread starter macrumors regular

Airport express good enough for college dorm room?

They offer wireless, but it is a weak signal. Also, the game consoles can't game over their wireless so I would need a router for Ethernet.

Thanks for replying guys!

----------

Also, since the Express only has one Ethernet port, is there anything I can buy to extend that one Ethernet port to like 3?

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

Any switch..

6. opinio macrumors 65816

Just be aware that the Ethernet port on the express is not gigabit like in the extreme. This shouldn't matter too much though unless you plan on working with a NAS or transfers between Macs.

Also if you are going to buy a switch as well then consider the price of the extreme compared to the express plus switch because it has the three port switch built in. The extreme is likely to still be a touch more expensive but not by much, and less clutter.