Airport Express Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saxondale., Jan 8, 2011.

1. saxondale. macrumors 6502

So i've been using my airport express for airplay and printer sharing, so i've just connected it to my current network over wifi. Now i want to replace my router with the airport express, so i can have N. From what i understand, i just need to connect my airport express to my router/modem via ethernet. In airport utility, which type of set up do i choose? i literally just want to replace my router with the airport express. At the moment, i can see both networks (old router and airport express), can i just completely replace the router, so that the airport express is the only one that shows up?

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Airport cannot completely replace the router

The Airport Express can provide the wireless network without any problems, but you cannot connect it directly to an ASDL or telephone line, so the router will always be needed. You can, with most routers, turn off the wireless network and then you would only see the one AE network. Is there a problem with having two networks? As long as the two networks are on different channels it should be fine.

HTH

3. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ssmed
    Actually 2 networks are fine, since my housemate doesn't have n on his laptop, he can connect to the original router, so he doesn't slow things down on the express. By having 2 networks running, wouldn't that have some sort of performance impact on the speed?

In the airport set up, which one would i pick:
    Create a wireless network
    or
    Connect to a network using Ethernet to extend the network or create a second network

Thanks

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Suggested settings

If you are connected to the router by ethernet, you want to pick the following options:

Create a wireless network
    Pick a good network name and password
    Radio mode 802.11n only 2.4 GH, as better range than 5 GHz

Connect using Ethernet
    Connection Sharing Share a public IP address

Configure IPv4: using DHCP

HTH Steve

5. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again, but where can i find the 2.4/5GHz bit?

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

2.4 GHz v 5 GHz

In the Airport utility:

With the Airport button selected under the wireless tab the options are there as a dropdown next to Radio Mode:

7. saxondale. thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, found it :)

If range isn't an issue, should i opt for the 5GHz option?

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

5 GHz

I have never got on very well with 5 GHz and you can't (or at least couldn't, last time I did some reading) extend the network using that setting. Perhaps try both and see which work best for you. There seems to be differing opinion as to its value.