AirPort Express Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HD-Gregg, Apr 20, 2012.

1. HD-Gregg macrumors newbie

He Hello all, I have a very strange issue that I'm trying to work through. I'm deployed in Afghanistan and the only internet we have uses CAT6 cable (more later). I have a mac book pro and now a little 11" air. I purchased a AirPort express so I could have it login to my ISP here and then just connect all my WIFI devices to the AirPort. The issue I have is I cannot figure out how to make the AirPort Express loging to the ISP. I have like 6 WIFI devices that can all pass through the AirPort but only one device at a time. Everything I have been reading is for connecting to other wireless networks or extending wireless networks.

What I need to do is have the APexpress connect to the ISP and then all my devices can just connect to the APexpress. Has anyone done this? Unfortunatly I only have one option for internet and its a cat6 cable and thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try setting up the Express to create a wireless network, make sure you secure it with WPA2, and have it share an IP address.

3. laurenr, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

How are you connecting to your ISP? Is the Cat6 cable connected to a DSL modem, then your Airport Express? Where is the ISP? The reason I ask, is that a DSL connection may require a PPPoE login. If that is the case, these are the settings in the Internet Tab you need in Airport Utility. Note the Connection Sharing is set to "Share a public IP address":

dsl.jpg

You would enter your ISP username and password in the required fields. After that, the Wireless network setup is pretty straight forward.

Note: the above would only apply for DSL,(connected directly to the modem), not if your connection is via a Cable modem.

If on the other hand, the above does not apply, then these settings might work for you. (I'm guessing here, as I don't know what your primary internet connection is.) You would then set the device to "Bridge Mode":

bridge md.jpg

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Personally, if you leave a computer on your desk most of the time, I'd leave one plugged into the computer all the time. Then you can just enable Internet Connection Sharing. No need for the Express in this case.

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

If your computer is connected via ethernet to a Modem/Internet source, then this would totally work. Great idea!

6. HD-Gregg thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I apologize for the lack of detail I posted. The set up here for me is there is just a cat6 cable in my room. That cable goes straight to a switch thats connected to a fiber backbone thats connected to a satellite. The ISP is local here on base and doesn't do any MAC filtering or any real security for that matter.

This place is a total poop hole and its covered in moon dust so leaving stuff on all the time that has a fan is not a good thing. also I have a limited time to even be on line as we I work 15 hours a day 7 days a week. I had a buddy out here that had this set up and its worked great. I on the other hand can't seem to figure it out. Its not a PPoE connection, You login to a webpage and as long as you don't log out its yours for ever. I'll keep tinkering and hope to figure it out soon. Thanks for all the assistance so far! You guys ROCK!

----------

I forgot to mention that I want to have all my devices on the WIFI all at once, PS3, Mac book pro, PSVita, cell phone and other devices. Mostly for updates but also ITunes updates, software updates Ect. We pay through the nose here for flooded dialup (4-30 KBPS). but that limitation seems to be per connection. Before the Air express I shared out my WIFI on my macbook and plugged the cat6 cable into it. Works great for all my "I" products but PS3 and other devices just won't connect. I'd buy a Apple game console if they made one... LOL Okay I think thats it. Thanks again!

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I did a similar setup for my Sister in Spain last year, where her condo just offered an ethernet outlet to which one would connect the Airport Express. You can try the setup I did for her (similar to my pic above):
    By the way, I am using Airport Utility 5.6 on my Mac, as I prefer it to the newer version, which is kind of "dumbed down".
    On the Internet tab>Internet Connection, the setting "Connect Using":ethernet.
    Connection sharing: Off(bridge mode) See below:

bridge md.jpg

In Airport Tab setting>Wireless, see my pic below:

wireless.jpg

If you are worried about security/some unauthorized person connecting to your network, select the "Wireless Network Options" button (in red above), and create a closed network. You must remember the exact name of your network in this case, in order to join it on your other devices. I am not sure if these devices, such as the PS 3 have the option, like the iPad/Mac does, to join "Other network" in their settings. If you elect to do this option, when other people are around, your network will be invisible to their devices. (Hope that makes sense.) See pic below to enable this option. You would check the box to "Create a closed network":

options.jpg

One caveat:
    if the above INTERNET settings, do not work...(I am still not sure of your exact ISP setup), try these settings; instead of being set to "Bridge Mode", your Connection Sharing would be set to "Share a Public IP Address":

share IP.jpg