Airport Express help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cave12man, May 21, 2007.

1. cave12man macrumors member

Can an airport express be used with anything else but an airport base station? I bought one so i could take advantage of airtunes but now cant connect to the net with it because apparently it only works with an airport extreme card and/or base station??

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's a wireless router, so it will work with any computer / modem / wifi card. What problems are you having? What equipment do you have?

3. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

My understanding is that the express is just an access point that supports bridging, not a router.

4. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

You can use it to bridge (i.e extend) an Airport network.
    You can also use it directly plugged into your cable modem/dsl connection to do wireless routing to any 802.11b/g client.
    Any of those clients that can run iTunes can then also send music to the Airport Express so it will come out of whatever stereo you plugged it into via the audio jack.

So, what exact is the problem you are having?

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Nope. It's a router. I currently have it hooked up to my DSL modem and use it for wireless. My Windows PC, XBox 360 and Wii can all connect to the internet through it, so you most certainly don't need any other apple equipment.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It will work with other routers, but only on a basic level.

It can't do range-extending without an Airport Base Station, that much I do know. I tried to get it setup like that with my Linksys WRT54G and no dice. It'll only act as a client.

I think there are a few other nicities you lose if you don't use with an Airport Base Station, but the range extension feature is definitely the one I miss the most.

And it will certainly act as a full-fledged router if you'd like to use it that way. It's also worth noting that their range is surprisingly good too.

7. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

i've been connecting to my neighbors wireless network through an agreement to share the bill and just moved my mac out of the kitchen and into the bedroom but lost the signal after doing so. bought the airport express the other day and can use airtunes great to broadcast a signal to my stereo that is in the kitchen but can no longer pick up my neighbors network that i was recieving with my mac in the same room.

using a mac quicksilver g4 (mirrored drive doors) airport card (not extreme) as quicksilver wont accept them) and an airport express as of a couple days ago

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Straight from Apple's website:

So unless you want to purchase your neighbor an AirPort, you're out of luck.

Enjoy the airtunes though, I love it.

9. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

10. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

Not exactly... I have had success in the past with getting the AE act as a range extender AND stream music with a non-apple router. The problem is that it requires using a specific router (mine was Linksys) and upgrading the router firmware.

This article explains it in more detail (see the bottom of the article). It has been a while since I did it, but it DID work.

But for the most part, it's true... you are probably out of luck.