Airport express helps

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShrubbySoup, May 6, 2012.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a new router that reaches into my room (wireless). I have a cheap netgear but wanted to get the airport express, will it extend my connection through the netgear or will it ny work with the airport extreme?

Sorry is that was confusing,
    What I'm trying to say in simple terms

My Internet comes through the wall ---> it enters a virgin media hub with one Ethernet port ---> then it goes into my netgear wireless router ---> now I want to add the express to gain connection in my room (extend)

Does it work with netgear and not just extreme really,
    So sorry for babbling
    Thanks Connor

2. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Your English grammar and spelling is a little poor, so its a little difficult to understand what your trying to say :eek:

If I'm correct in saying you already have a router which connects directly to your Virgin Broadband Router which then connects into another wireless router... but you are experiencing poor signal from this wireless router, which suggests you must also be experiencing poor wireless signal from your virgin hub?

The question is do you want the Airport express to wirelessly feed of the netgear to boost signal? I would suggest simply replacing the netgear router and replacing it with the airport express as the signal and range is more than likely to be more superior...

In that case also it may be suggested you would enable the router to use DHCP opposed to bridge from the Hub, this means all traffic going through the airport express would be managed by it, opposed to being managed by the Virgin Hub...

3. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Basically I'm saying will it extend my netgear wireless router that I have currently or does it only work with airport extreme?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

it only works with airport extreme

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I read somewhere that the 802.11g model only worked with Airport networks, but the 802.11n version would extend non apple networks. I've tried the first and can confirm it, but I haven't tried the latter, so you may be right.