Airport Express & Home Sharing not working when using MiFi?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eternalvictor, Apr 13, 2012.

1. eternalvictor macrumors newbie

My broadband is pretty appalling at home so I took the decision yesterday to purchase a MiFi device on the basis that I am cancelling my phone line and broadband package with Sky so I can just use the MiFi or my iPhone unlimited data for the internet.

I tested the MiFi yesterday and everything seemed fine. Apple TV plays videos from Netflix, my Ps3 let me play online with no issues so I thought I had found a solution to my slow internet, but then I tried to access my music on my Apple TV and the home sharing would not work.

I have checked and iTunes is configured to allow home sharing, the setting is also checked on the Apple TV itself so I cannot figure out what is wrong. I have also noticed that my Airport Express connected to my stereo in the kitchen now doesn't work when the iMac is connected to the MiFi network.

When I connect to my current Sky Wi-Fi router everything works fine so I am after any help as to how I can go about making the Home Sharing and Airport express work through my MiFi network and iPhone hotspot sharing.

2. eternalvictor thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone got any solutions as this does somewhat negate the whole point of using the mifi to replace my awful home Internet and I would like to think that I should be able to use home sharing and airport express with whatever wireless network the iMac is connected too

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

The Airport Express can be put in WDS mode but I'm not sure if your MiFi supports wireless expansion via WDS.

The MiFi may be using cheaper wireless components, ie usually they only support 5 clients vs more expensive chipsets that support 10+ clients. These limited chipsets might be missing other features that Home Sharing needs?

I'm not stating this as fact, just a suggestion to start your investigation.

4. Haleadam macrumors newbie

Did you ever receive a response or find a solution.

Rgds

Adam