Airport Express/iMac G4 dropping connection.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stang, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Stang macrumors member

I recently got an iMac G4. It had no wireless, and since that's what I use I bought the (correct) Airport Express Card. I installed it without a hitch, and it seemed to be working fine, until I reinstalled Leopard. Now every 2-3 minutes Airport will simply drop the connection. I have no idea why. I have updated all the firmware, but it continues to drop the connection. Can someone please help?

I should also note that I'm on a MacBook right now that hasn't dropped the connection to the same wireless network.

2. mustangsally82 macrumors member

I used to have this problem in Tiger. But I can't remember exactly how I fixed it. My PowerBook G4 used to drop the connection whenever it went to sleep.

I think I fixed it by going into System Preferences and changing the Network preferences to connect automatically. I know you said you were using Leopard, but maybe if you change your Network settings slightly and then test it out for a while you might find the right combination.

3. Stang thread starter macrumors member

figured it out (old problem)

turns out 10.5.0 had a problem and was rejecting the signal. combo-updating to 10.5.8 fixed everything.