Airport Express in a vehicle

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kbutler84, Jan 12, 2012.

1. kbutler84 macrumors regular

Just wondering, if I wanted to install an Airport Express in my vehicle to use airplay with, could I just put the AE in bridge mode thereby allowing me to connect to the network (and use airplay), yet still use my 3G signal for web browsing/streaming audio?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• What power source are you going to plug your AE into?
    • What speakers are you going to use with your AE?
    • What power source are you going to plug your speakers into?

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes. I assume you're talking about plugging the AE into your AUX stereo input? Power inverter would be necessary for power. What network would you connect the APE to? If you're talking about a tethering network with your phone, have it connect to the network that your phone is generating, not bridge with it. You'll have to set this up the first time with a laptop with Airport Utility.

4. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

I would be plugging it into a power inverter and using my AUX input.

----------

Looking to do what post #32 says in this thread

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to use a dock to phono connector?

6. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it'd be cheaper. But I'm just thinking about going wireless. Bluetooth would also be an option, but I've heard audio over bluetooth can be sub par.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

There is no way this can work well.

8. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

Why?

9. mfram macrumors 65816

As far as I can tell, you can't have your iPhone on both a Wi-Fi network and 3G network at the same time. The iPhone uses one or the other, not both.

10. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

Refer to the link in my earlier post. The person in that thread says he was able to make it work. Just looking for any way to verify what he did.

11. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

It would work fine, but while in the car you'd have no data connection as the iPhone would be trying to use the wifi, so I THINK iMessage wouldn't work, or any other app that needs data.

Also you'd have to wait for the APE to create the wireless network every time you start the car, which can take a minute or 2.

Bluetooth isn't awful, just setup a new head unit in my car with it, my speakers are awful so unsure if they're making it sound worse. The head unit was cheap too.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iMessage uses cellular data regardless

13. cheeseblock macrumors member

Not true; I used to have my old iphone 4 jailbroken with mifi. when i had the tethering on, and also wifi switched on, it would automatically have the little wifi icon at the top. i was successfully able to use my laptop and my phone on the internet at the same time, even on verizon 3g.

I also have quite a bit of experience with my express, as long as the wifi is ready to go when you plug the express in, it connects right away and remembers its settings.

So put these together: make sure the tethering or whatever you have is broadcasting wifi before you start your car, and the airport will connect no problem, and the iphone should pick up airplay within about 30 seconds. i am actually really interested in this idea and will try it, as soon as the untethered jb comes out for A5 devices.

And for those of you who think this is pointless when you can just plug it in cause you're 2 feet away, you're right. BUT, how cool would this be just to say you can do it?!

Only complaint i'd have tho, is how long could you use 3g, wifi, tethering, airplay, and other stuff without having to charge your phone? cause once it's plugged in to the charger, you just defeated the whole purpose of this idea: to go wireless. i suppose you could put a powermat thing with the powermat case in your car, but now it's gettin ridiculous lol. Just my 2 cents, but good luck anyhow :D

14. dvonn macrumors newbie

Airport Express (Airplay) in your Car

It works!! Took a little homework.. but my AE is fully functional in my FX35.

1st off: Change the power converter. 110 to 12v converters are noisy and hot and create hum in your system.

Follow steps below:

Find and order one of these: 1.8" CF Card to 3.5" IDE Hard Drive HDD Adapter Converter for Toshiba

Process is pretty simple.. but soldering and patience is required.
    Cracking open the AE is a pain.. I Pre-drilled carefully and cut away the rest.
    Soldering was simple.

Tech Set-Up:
    http://weistudio.com/mac_ape.htm#

2nd: AE settings - You'll create an apipa address.. This will enable airplay while still letting you accessing 3g/4g.

Apipa Set-Up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bh6oPCAKvs

In Action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z-724aKgHg

The only setback I can't source a solution for is.. after calls or leaving the throw of the airport, you have to "forget the network" and rejoin. Apple said, "that's the way it is". I don't buy it. If anyone can find a work around for this, I would appreciate the post! Overall, it's minor.

Good luck!
    dv-

15. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Why don't you just get a mw 600 and connect it to the aux, same function better price. :)

16. dvonn macrumors newbie

Simple.. I have an iPhone and my blue tooth is linked to my car for phone calls.
    This renders other bluetooth devices unusable.
    The mic system is super clean in the fx35.. but doesn't receive music.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    dv-

17. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

That's effing brilliant! My Lexus has a 110v socket in the rear right next to the RCA AUX jacks. I can't wait for this summer's road trip, broadcast directly from the iPad instead of running a 6 foot RCA extension from the iPod. Thanks!

18. chenjas1 macrumors member

19. dvonn macrumors newbie

You are the man!! Thank you..
    dv-

----------

Set AE up as new with airport utility, Go to tcp/ip and set it configure to manually, then delete everything but the submask and click save.
    And ignore any error reports and continue. Done!