Airport Express in Germany.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ammar17, Jun 29, 2013.

1. ammar17 macrumors newbie

Hi! My name is Ammar and this is my first post on these forums.

I have joined recently, after growing really frustrated with the issue at hand. I have bought a new Airport Express (The latest version) at a local shop here in Germany. I have a contract with Vodafone for my DSL. and I got internet over my telephone line. So basically what I am trying to say is that I got a cable from the wall into a Vodafone WLAN router (Model: 803) which gives me Wifi around my small apartment.

Anyhow since I got the Airport express, I have plugged it in, and then ran my Airport Utility on my MacBook Air and found it. Before all that I have read somewhere that Express doesn't work as a repeater with non-apple products (routers). Therefore I chose for it to "join the network" which is my current Wifi-network. I have set the same password for the Airport as my Wifi-network.

Anyhow, after couple of minutes, the Amber light turns into green and I get to see my Express on iTunes for example or on my iPhone to Airplay.

But after 30 or so minutes, it is gone. I cannot find it anymore, and I cannot stream music over it.

I have seriously gone through every piece of paper written on the subject but to no good. I would seriously appreciate some serious help and maybe simple step-by-step guides. As much as I love technology, I am still new to it.

I have to say that two days ago I have got myself an Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n 4th generation. Would I be able to connect the extreme to my Router with an ethernet cable, and make the Extreme take over the Vodafone router as the main router in my apartment?

In Germany we do not have DSL modems that I can connect the express to it in order to get a connection, on the other hand, I connect my phone and fax machine to my router in order to get a "line". and there is no other way around it.

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I would be surprised if Express was unable to work in bridge mode (ie not as router but just as Wi-Fi access point).
    Indeed, it can: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4701631?start=0&tstart=0
    Whether any other router is capable of acting as the main router in your environment you'd best get answered by your ISP's tech support.
    If your Vodafone router does the NAT and DHCP for your local network (LAN), then you could set up your airports just in bridge mode and you're set. In router mode they would only introduce a second level of NAT (aka double-NAT) and there should really be no reason for doing this.
    I also suggest you'd check out this (now little outdated) manual, which will describe the main configuration scenarios and concepts:
    Designing AirPort Networks Using AirPort Utility

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You might check in the Vodaphone manual for your unit whether you can set it to act only as a Modem. Then the Router functions can be provided by the AExtreme or the AExpress.