Airport Express in separate room to wifi modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appleperson1, Jul 26, 2015.

1. appleperson1 macrumors member

I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with this query. I've dug out an older model Airport Express and i'm hoping to put it back into use, but my stereo is in a separate room to my wifi modem. In fact - separate ends of the house.

The setup directions i've seen online seem to say I need to have the Airport Express plugged into the wifi modem via ethernet cable, but i'm thinking that considering it is wifi capable (or something) maybe there's a way I can have it connected to my stereo in the back room, connecting to the wifi from the front room. Is that possible?

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yep, under the wireless settings, just put the mode to "join a wireless network"

Depending on how old the express is, you may run into a problem trying to configure it. The newer versions of airport utility don't support the older models.
    you need airport utility 5.6.1, which requires some work-arounds to function on the newer versions of OS X, google has the answers here. just search "airport utility 5.6.1"

you'll probably also have an easier job of getting the network settings correct if you connect it by ethernet during setup.
    you can place it close to your router, and run a cable (even if your laptop is wireless that's ok)
    once it's configured, just unplug it and move to the other room.