Airport Express initial setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by papa1410, Aug 13, 2008.

1. papa1410 macrumors newbie

I bought my daughter an Airport Express along with a new MacBook. I have an AT&T 2Wire wireless network in my house which the MacBook finds and connects with flawlessly. I wanted to add the Airport Express so she could connect to her printer wirelessly, and play iTunes. But, no matter what I try, the amber light just blinks forever and her MacBook Airport panel says it cannot find any Apple wireless devices.
    I have tried the reset button many times, as well as various ethernet connections. (I tried a cable from one of the 2Wire modem's available jacks to the Airport Express, as well as disconnecting the DSL line from the 2Wire modem and plugging it straight into the Airport Express.) No matter what all I get is that amber blinking light. Please help.... I can't get past square One with this thing.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Check this out. It sounds to me like you're trying to find the Airport Express in the Airport Setup Assistant app, correct? You need to connect to the AE directly (click the Airport signal strength bar and choose the AE access point).

3. papa1410 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no option in the Airport signal strength bar that says AE access point.
    Even when I directly connect from the AE to the MacBook's ethernet port nothing shows up. One set of directions I received called for choosing "manual setup", but that option is greyed out because Airport Express is never recognized, at all. And that's the problem that all the help topics don't address. I literally cannot even begin because I can't get past that flashing amber light. Can the AE be DOA??

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You need to reset the APX to factory settings. Locate the small recessed button on it. Plug it into the wall and when the LED first lights, press the button with a pin or pen until the LED flashes. Then after a few minutes, the APX should appear in the Airport Menu as like Unknown Network 03C4 (the last 4 characters in the MAC address of the APX. Connect to that network to set it up.

Also, the wire going into the 2Wire modem is just a phone cord, so it wouldn't work. And you will NOT be able to use the APX to expand your current network, just augment it.

TEG