airport express interference

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mojohojo, May 5, 2007.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

i've been recently having lots of interference with my airport express in streaming airtunes. my computer is only like 1 metre away from it.

it says in the help guide to go to admin utitliy > configure > to change the channels. yet i cant find this option in the menu. all there is to choose is security options, wireless options. and i have activated internet robustness

i am joining my existing wireless. so that i can use my router for internet and airport just for airtunes.

is there something wrong with my airport express?

2. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had the same problem.

Went to change the channel and that option was greyed out when joining an existing network.

If you do a search here, there's plenty of threads explaining how to re-configure your express, but I'm challenged and couldn't get it to work.

I ended up changing the channel on my modem and it's been working fine ever since.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

You'd have to change the channel on your existing wireless router. The express would then join that specific channel. You won't be able to change the channel when the express is acting like a client.

Do you have a microwave within 50 feet, or a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone that rings often? Those are the most likely culprits for interference. Even a neighbor's 2.4 Ghz device can trigger interference.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

So if the router and cordless phone was on, say, channel 6, and you changed the router channel to 10, no more interference when the phone rings?

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Unfortunately, not necessarily. It may help if the channels are spaced far apart, but the channels only span a few hundred hertz. Activating Interface Robustness is the best possible alternative, apart from getting rid of 2.4 Ghz phones and replacing them with 5 Ghz phones.

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

2.4Ghz Phones:

•Try spacing out your router and your phones as far apart as possible

•Try placing the antenna lower.

•Some people say Channel 11 is the best for having the least interference.

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I usually use channel 1 or 3 is the best that I have ever found since most of them use 6 or 11

8. mojohojo thread starter macrumors regular

i seem to have found a way to make it work, at least for now. found from reading other forums - if i choose multiple speakers (computer + airport express) there seems to be no more interruptions...weird