AirPort Express Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by williamlower, Sep 9, 2007.

1. williamlower macrumors newbie

Hi all.

OK. Here's what I want to do:

I want to share an internet connection (dial-up) from my iMac G5 to my iBook G3 with AirPort Express.
    Here's the catch, the iBook G3 doesn't have an AirPort card, and I would like to plug it into the AirPort Express via ethernet.

I understand the AirPort's ethernet port can be used as either WAN or LAN, and I am file sharing perfectly with this setup (the LAN function is working).

What I can't figure out is how to set up internet sharing and the IP addresses on each computer (and the AirPort control panel) for this to work.
    Will I need a software router setup?
    If so, what would the settings need to be?

Also, what IP configuration would I use. Apple says I shouldn't use NAT or DHCP. What else is there?

I am tearing my hair out here!
    Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wlliam

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Use the Sharing Pane in the System Preferences.

Set it to share from Dial-Up Modem to Airport. Setup the iMac to create a Network, and attempt to configure the Airport to become a remote basestation for that network, using WDS.

If that doesn't work (I'm not sure as I have had little to no experience with the AirPort Express Cards in more modern Macs), I would invest in an Airport Extreme Base Station w/ modem. This will give you the dialup for both systems, and allow you to either connect the iBook to it via Ethernet or use the Airport Express to extend the network and connect via ethernet there.

TEG