Airport Express 'invalid IP address

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benuds, Mar 1, 2011.

1. benuds macrumors newbie

So I bought an Airport express as I don't have a broadband connection in my room and also don't have an Airport built in.....I set up my express so that its plugged into my computer (Mac g5) via the ethernet then picks up the signal from the wireless router downstairs....I finally managed to get it to work but then my housemate bought a new router....since then the light stays amber and this comes up when I try to troubleshoot:

'your apple wireless device does not have a valid IP address. Make sure your apple wireless device is connected to your broadband modem or local network,verify your settings and try again.If you still can't connect contact your internet service provider'

Its picking up the signal from the new router but still won't connect....does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it is likely that the airport is not correctly configured to connect to the other router. apple routers GENERALLY only bridge with other apple routers, not 3rd party ones - so you might be out of luck as far as that is concerned.

care to post a screen shot of the general Wireless tab in Airport Utility?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

he's not bridging, but they do that fine,

wirelessly extend is what they don't do.

You should be setting the express to "join a network", also check with the housemate to make sure he's not mac filtering or anything.