Airport Express Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tktaylor1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I have been trying to set up my Airport Express for about an hour now with no luck. When I plug it into the wall it flashes amber. I have looked all over the internet and tried everything. I have tried all of the resets and no luck. When I open Airport Utilities the scan will not pick up my device. It shows the picture below. My Airport Express is about 6 ft away from my laptop. I really don't know what to do now. I am connected to the internet through a Verizon wireless modem. Any help?

Attached Files:

2. TDinstinct macrumors newbie

perhaps its faulty? you could try resetting then following a step-by-step from the manual, if that doesnt work i would get it replaced or call tech support.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Try connecting it directly to the Mac via Ethernet. Not sure if you can setup this way but worth a try.

4. Jest3r macrumors regular

You have to connect to it before you can configure it... View available wireless networks on your computer and you should see something along the lines of 'Apple Network XXXXXX' with no security. Connect to it and then run the configuration utility again.

5. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I saw this once and I tried that and it showed the device in Airport Utilities and now I cant find it again. I tried setting up a new network and the options are the Verizon one and other apple airport or something along those lines. But nonetheless I can't find that again.

6. Jest3r macrumors regular

Open your wireless network list and keep an eye on it for a minute or so and it should show up... On my Macbook Air running Lion, they sometimes don't show up until the second or third sweep, which are around ten seconds apart.

7. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

First Picture: All connections I see

Second Picture: Network Preferences

Third Picture: This is how I set up the Airport whenever I did it the first time except where it says "Other Airport Network" it said Apple XXXXX or whatever and then it led me into the Airport Utilities and did its thing and it said the Airport will restart but never did. So I closed the box.

Attached Files:

8. BIS2 macrumors regular

Very similar problem

I'm at the same point as the OP. I found an Airport Express I had not used for ages and decided to see if I could get it working. I reset it and was able to play music over it but not print. I hadn't even tried the internet but tried the directions from Apple's site to connect to my network as a client. Now, I keep getting the same "unable to find any airport devices" message shown above. I tried to perform a hard reset (hold button down for 5 secs until light flashes), but the light never flashes. It was working 10 minutes ago, so whatever I did in the setup utility to connect it to my network screwed it up. Help!

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I've had similar issues in the past and reverted back to 7.4.2 firmware. I have never had an issue with this version. 7.5.2 has a bug that will not let it remember your network settings or something. It has been a while, but I never upgrade the firmware.

Try to reset the device and downgrade the firmware to 7.4.2.

Good luck.

10. BIS2 macrumors regular

update

Just found these directions:

Unplug,
    leave for 30s,
    hold in reset button and plug in whilst keeping reset pressed,
    continue to hold in reset and wait until green light flashes 4 times.

I tried it and for me this worked as a hard reset. I have not attempted to reset it up yet.....but at least this was progress!

11. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Well guys I got it working. I have no clue how, all I did was plug it into a different outlet in my room (which is further away from my computer) and plugged in my printer and the scan picked it up and now it works. I have no clue how it happened, it just did.