Airport Express - iTunes - Delete Multiple Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cjaubert, Jul 25, 2009.

1. cjaubert macrumors newbie

I have been using several Airport Expresses to stream iTunes wirelessly for several years. We just moved, and I set up a new network, giving all the Airport Expresses (four) new names (e.g., changing “work room” to “kitchen”), doing a factory reset on each Airport.

Now, My iTunes has three of the old-named speakers in the “Multiple Speakers” listing, in addition to the four new ones with proper names. (For example, “work room” is still there, despite there being no “work room” Express on the network. I assumed that a factory reset would have “deleted” all references to “work room.”)

In any event, my question is, how do I delete the old, never-to-be-used-again speakers from the Multiple Speaker list?

Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In iTunes preferences, go to the Devices tab, uncheck the option to "Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes" click ok, go back into the same preferences tab and re-enable that. This should refresh the listing of speakers iTunes can play through.

3. cjaubert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, JediMaster, but I tried that already, and again now, and it didn’t work either time.

I just can’t figure this out. It’s has to be that some information exists on the Expresses, with their past identities, that, somehow, remains despite the factory reset.

OR

There is some playlist or other file somewhere (that I can’t find) that holds this information and needs to be reset.

This is MADDENING.

Thanks for the effort; I appreciate it.

4. cjaubert thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution!

Solution!

She solution is: I am an idiot.

The three “unidentified” Expresses are, in reality, three Apple TVs on the network. (A) I had given these three Apple TVs the same names as the old Expresses, and (B) I didn’t realize that Apple TVs could stream iTunes. I have not added “ATV” at the end of each Apple TV, and viola, it is now decipherable.