Airport Express, iTunes, external amp, and changing user...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by canuckle, Apr 22, 2012.

1. canuckle macrumors regular

Hey all, I've searched the forum for this answer but can't seem to find it.

I have an iMac, MBP, new iPad, iPhone, Apple TV.

On our Windows PC (just retired) I was able to switch users and not have the iTunes stream interrupted. Cannot do this with the iMac, which I use to feed an amp connected to our house system (several floors).

Can an Airport Express help me here? I don't need to extend my wireless network, it's very robust. I do want to be able to stream iTunes music from my profile to the Airport Express, and have my wife be using her profile on the iMac at the same time.

Does this work?

Thanks,

Mike

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does work on Snow Leopard. I haven't tested it on Lion.

3. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

Wow man, you are always the first to help, thanks! Is there some documentation or a thread on how to configure this?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't connect to 2 wireless networks at the same time, so you'll have to set up your AirPort Express to join your existing network. Then you'll be able to select it in iTunes as your speaker. Then when you switch users (not logging out), iTunes will continue to play, even if the other user uses iTunes to play on different speakers.

5. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

That is EXACTLY what I want to do, thanks!

6. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

GGJ, just fyi I set this up today, and it works perfectly. THANK YOU !!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked for you! Enjoy!

8. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

GGJ, one more question:

With the AE selected as the output in iTunes, it 'seems' like the wireless network is slower. The AE is connected to the router via ethernet cable, and the wireless function of the AE is OFF. Again the only purpose of the unit for me is to provide uninterrupted music signal to my amp for the home speaker system, not to augment, extend, or create anything for my wireless network.

I'm using a Linksys E4200 running 2 wireless network (one 5Ghz and one 2.4Ghz), it's behind a cable modem, raw speed is 85-95 MB/s and I get 80+ with my Late 2011 MBP. I noticed it trying to FaceTime last night.

Need to do more testing, but does any of this make sense?

9. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

How much slower?

When you do more testing try separating the iTunes stream and the Facetime stream on different freqs (5 vs 2.4). If both are operating at the same time on the same freq, it would not be unreasonable to notice some degradation.

10. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

Here's the thing though, the wireless on the AE is off. Here's the chain of equipment...

Cable Modem->Linksys E4200 Router->new iMac->Airport Express->audio out to power amp

All hardwired, no wireless. AE wireless section is set to None/Off (don't remember which, not in front of it) So I'm confused as to why the wireless side of the equation connecting an iPhone to the E4200 would suffer. The overall pipe coming into the house is more than enough (100 MB/s, consistent over 80 even on wireless N.). The wireless N network is set to 5Ghz ONLY, and the2.4 is 2.4 only as well.

11. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes, I understand the AE is hardwired. But how does the iMac connect to the network, wired or wirelessly?

If the iMac is hardwired, then that is unusual to have a noticeable hit to the wireless performance. Keep in mind, although wireless and wired are separate medium they process through the same box, i.e. CPU, etc. For starters, in this case, I’d check your Linksys firmware and make sure it’s up to date.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E4200

12. canuckle thread starter macrumors regular

Good thought on the firmware, and yes the iMac is hardwired.