AirPort Express iTunes Streaming Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Martron, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Martron macrumors regular

tried to search for the answer, but no luck. I just hooked up a new airport express and am using AirTunes but was wondering how it sends the info? I guess my question is, will the quality be the same as if my computer is hooked straight into the cord?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! it sucks that it only transmits iTunes, it was nice transmitting everything with a cord, but oh well. AirTunes is actually a bit louder through my stereo and almost sounds a bit compressed. Perhaps it's just me, but has anyone else noticed this? Or that it's louder than using a cord?

4. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

perhaps it because the volume of itunes streaming is controlled in itunes not the system volume?

5. jeenyusboy5 macrumors member

There are some programs that will transfer other programs sounds. I think its called Airfoil.

6. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses. I don't think its compressed, I think the bass and everything is just louder because it is straight through iTunes, so it may be good to turn down the iTunes volume and up my system's. I'm a bit of an audiofile, so I'm interested in audio quality.

Thanks for the heads up on AirFoil.

7. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

^ Not to knock you being an audiophile, but I'm surprised iTunes(unless you're using ALAC) is your choice of music player if that's the case. Most audio guys aren't big iTunes fans.

I highly recommend Air Foil. Well worth their asking price, it's just a shame apple doesn't have it built into the system. VLC w/audio delay(audio desynch compensation @ -1950 and set input codecs>access modules> file> caching value in ms @ 3000) + AirFoil FTW. If only Hulu could be setup the same way...

8. Martron thread starter macrumors regular

yea, well i'm not like a "huge" audiophile. I'm not really a FLAC guy, I listen to mp3's but at V0 or 320 bits. Is that what you mean by not using iTunes cause it doesn't support FLAC or is there another reason most don't use it? Since I do listen to mp3s I find that it really is the easiest to use program. And I have an iPod, so it makes sense.