Airport express kills network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trackbikes, Aug 16, 2013.

1. trackbikes, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

trackbikes macrumors regular

I bought an airport extreme time capsule and it worked great except i had a dead spot where my TV is located.

So I went out and bought an airport express.

It works fine when it's on a wifi connection to the the APE but as soon as i connect it via a home plug it kills the whole network and nothing works .

Unplug the cat 5 and everything works fine again.

I am connecting the LaN on the APE to a pair of home plugs to the WAN of the base station.

If i connect my crappy old Dlink or Linksys routers to the home plug they work fine.

Any Ideas??

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

did you do a reset on the express?

if it's still set up to connect via wifi, and you plug it in via ethernet you could be creating a loop, since traffic is going out from the extreme via wifi, then back to the extreme via wired, and out from the extreme via wifi, and so on. and clogging up your network

not sure if this is what is happening, but it's a possibility.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you want to connect this way permanently, then do a factory reset, connect the cable from the home plug to the WAN socket of the AExpress and then do a setup. This should set you up with a roaming network, with the AExpress in bridge mode, creating a WiFi network the same as the TC. DON'T try to extend the TC's WiFi onto the AExpress.

4. Skylark- macrumors newbie

Was having the same issue, followed these instructions and problem solved. Thanks!

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Good to know. Thanks.