Airport Express latency/connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Action, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Action, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Action macrumors member

I've had a 2012 Airport Express hooked up in bridge mode to my cable modem and have been using it as a wireless router for the past year. I use it with a 2012 MBA on the 5ghz band.

Over the last couple weeks, I've been having some intermittent latency and connection issues. Most of the day it's fine, but once or twice a day pings will spike, websites will stop resolving, and sometimes the connection drops. For example, on Ventrilo, my ping will constantly fluctuate between 30ms-300ms, then sometimes spike to > 5000ms (this doesn't happen on wired).

I've tried different Wi-Fi channels, rebooting the router, etc, but the issue still persists. I don't think it's a range issue, since the Airport Express is about a foot away from my MBA on the same desk. I've ruled out it being an issue with the ISP since my other computer hooked up via ethernet has never had an issue. I've also ruled out it being an issue with the MBA, since I've had no issues with the wireless at work or elsewhere.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

being to close can be an issue also, if you can rearrange, try to get at least 5-10 feet away.

3. Action thread starter macrumors member

I've tried that for a few days, didn't make a difference.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Is your Cable Modem a Modem or a Router/Modem ? If it's a Router/Modem, try putting it in Modem only mode and use the AE as the Router. Take the AE out of Bridge mode and set it up as the main Router.

Do your problems occur if you connect the MBA by LAN (assuming you have an Ethernet dongle) ?

Lots of folks on this forum seem to have problems getting AEs to work wirelessly with non-AE routers, you may be another one.