Airport Express Limiting Bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by newtoiphonesdk, Aug 10, 2012.

1. newtoiphonesdk macrumors 6502a

I just switched over from a 3.0 MBPS DSL to 15.0 MBPS Internet thru cable, using a cable modem plugged into my airport express. I have tried downloads on both computers. Trying to download a video from iTunes that I previously purchased will give me a rate of about 900 kb/s on one MacBook, but the same movie on a newer MacBook Pro will only give me a rate of about 280 kb/s (same as the speed it got on DSL). Is it possible that the Express is limiting high-speed bandwidth to the 1 MacBook (is the one with the lowest IP Address, and the computer I used to initially setup the Express)? The Fast MB is running Lion, and slow MBP is on Mountain Lion. Any thoughts?

I have ran speedtest.net on both, and they each show about 18.8 MBPS connection on download, but when it comes to downloading files, the older MB is almost 4x faster than the newer MBP, even when downloading same file.

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it only happen in iTunes? What happens when the FAST MB is not connected?

3. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Happens with any download from any site...max'd out around 300 on the mbp.

Have to check in a bit on other question

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's got to be your cable provider because if you have 15MB download that should give you about 1.5mb sec. not 900kb.

The advertised download speed is not the same as throughput.

5. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same with Fast MB not connected. When I reconnected, my download is only about 500 kb/s now. Speedtest still shows throughput as 20mbps

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Who's your internet cable provider ?

They may be throttling you.

7. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suddenlink

8. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have some more info in regards to this situation. Sometimes it will go fast, most of the time it will not. I have an iPhone 4S, MacBook, and MacBook Pro. I go to speedtest and run tests on both computers, and everything looks fine...around 15.0MBPS. I get speedtest app on my iPhone 4S, connect to the same wifi, and the phone only shows about 1.5MBPS which is about what the download speeds I've been getting are on the computers. So, my question is this...did something get jacked up on the express that is causing it to download very slow, and show different speed connections on the iPhone than what the computer shows?