Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Have set up a web server on my cable internet account - will switch to a business account that allow hosting.

Will be hosting about 20 website, not a huge amount of traffic on a mac mini 2007 Ubuntu server with SSD.

I am wondering if the Airport express via ethernet will be up to the job of handling all the extra traffic or will my network bog down to a crawl. Perhaps I need to use a beefier router with WRT installed ?

Thx

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Have set up a web server on my cable internet account - will switch to a business account that allow hosting.

Will be hosting about 20 website, not a huge amount of traffic on a mac mini 2007 Ubuntu server with SSD.

I am wondering if the Airport express via ethernet will be up to the job of handling all the extra traffic or will my network bog down to a crawl. Perhaps I need to use a beefier router with WRT installed ?

Thx

Honestly, I slam my AirPort roaming network and it never gives up. However, since you are doing hosting, I would go for an Extreme. You can pick one up from Apple Refurb for $85.00 for a 5th gen.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
An 8-port gigabit ethernet switch from Netgear costs around 29 Euro.

They have a metal case, no fan and you can plug in your cable modem, your Airport Express for WiFi and your computers.

The switch will handle any overload by delaying the packets, will allow VLAN tagging for your internal devices and even more.

I have two of them in my home, moving away from WiFi, put my Apple-TV, my Macs, my Smart TV and my NAS on them and it really makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.