Airport Express Multi-peripheral Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Qinetic, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

So my Macbook is coming in the mail and I'd like to plan my wireless setup. I don't even have the AirPort yet but I like to think ahead. :p

So I'll have my Macbook, a printer, my speaker system, and my Xbox 360 and I'd like to have them all working wirelessly. How would I go about setting this up? Can I use a router with the AirPort in case I need extra hard-wired ethernets (modem-router-AirPort)? Which parts are directly connected to the AirPort and which to the Macbook?

Knowing where the wiring must go is crucial in the placement of furniture and equipment. Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Both printer and speakers can connect to the AirPort Express. The Xbox 360 has wireless capabilities, does it not? If so, it and your MacBook can be connected wirelessly to the AirPort. There's no need to have anything extra plugged into the MacBook.

I actually looked into using a router to allow a wireless-less computer to connect to the home network. After an exceptionally long time on the phone with D-Link, it turns out that only one of their most expensive models supports that, so come prepared. However, in a pinch, your MacBook can share its wireless connection with another computer over ethernet.

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

First off is your router wireless?

If it is you can connect all of your devices wirelessly to it even the airport express.

Or if your wireless router is capable of WDS, you can then extend your wireless range using your airport express but it halves your network bandwidth.

Or if you don't have a wireless router you can connect the modem to the airport express and connect all your devices to it. I think I read somewhere that the AE only supports up to 10 users.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, sorry, I misread that. You want to go modem -> router -> AirPort, not modem -> AirPort -> router. Yeah, that's entirely doable.

5. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

I just decided that the AirPort Express wasn't the best modem for me, and neither the Extreme for that matter. I just got a D-Link DIR-655. It should fit my needs and it has a much lower price tag. Thanks for all the help anyway guys. Simplicity and cost trumps Apple this time. :p