Airport express music control

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bking1000, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 65816

If I purchase and use an airport express to play music from my mac in my study to powered speakers in my living room, how do I control the songs? Is there any interface in the living room (e.g. apple remote) to move forward or backward a song, or am I stuck with the shuffle/mix that I get?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

iTunes is how you control it. iTunes streams music wirelessly to the Express. If you want you can also get an RF remote control (goes through walls) to flip songs back/forward/play/pause.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

If you have line of sight to your computer - Apple Remote.

If you have an iPhone, there are a few web-based apps that can interface with iTunes (and can show album art, etc.), like Signal.

There may also be 3rd party solutions, but can't recall these off the top of my head.

Otherwise, I hope you like your playlist. [of note, using party shuffle and removing the songs you don't want to listen to is a reasonable way of addressing the issue you raise]

Edit: here it is, the Keyspan remote:
    http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-URM-17A-Express-Remote-Control/dp/B0006OCZLM

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Yep, the music is controlled by iTunes, on the computer. The airport express just ads some remote speakers.

I personally use Salling Clicker and iDisco on my mobile phone to control iTunes when I'm not in front of the computer.

Cheers

5. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks much! I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod touch. The wifi should work the same. I'll check into these options. I'm thinking the RF remote is probably the most straightforward. Although... Would the web-based control option also allow you to change play lists, etc. (as opposed to just forward/backward/skip). Sounds like I'll need to try at least the web app first.