Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Just got a new Airport Express, and am trying to get it on my network for streaming music via AirTunes.

My setup: AEBS (n-model, running on a g-compatible mode). AppleTV (which works well, and does work with AirTunes). MacBook (wireless-g), Powerbook (g), 2 iPhones, and a TiVo with a wireless-g adapter.

To this, I'm adding Airport Express. It's going through the set up ok via Airport Utility. I select the APex to connect to my existing (AEBS) network. The APex shows up in iTunes as a speaker destination, but when attempting to select it, iTunes chugs away for a few seconds, then reverts back to the default "computer" setting (or AppleTV setting, as the case may be).

Further, after being on for a few minutes, Airport Utility stops seeing the APex.

I've tried hard resets, and actually returned the first one I bought, hoping it was a hardware issue. Whatever... the new one does the same thing.

Any ideas on what to try?

tylermoney

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you have apple care on your other mac products? I'm am pretty sure that your apple care covers your apple accessories. I would call apple care...I'm not sure what to tell you....if you're telling your express to connecting to an existing network, it should work. I know that it may be a little testy with some non-apple routers....and that might be what apple tells you. I just went ahead and bought an airport extreme and express, so I wouldn't have to worry. If anything goes wrong for me, I know they can' t use the "it's not an apple product.." excuse.

good luck, I'll check back to see if anyone has any better advice.

lawrencm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Did you ever get a solution to this problem?

I have exactly the same problem?

Express used to work but now i cant get any bonjour services to my macbook pro. I have a powerbook on my network and bonjour to that works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.