Airport Express - Need a wifi repeater?

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I have a Airport express set up downstairs as my main router. In my room upstairs i only get around 40% of the signal.

Can anyone recommend any good Wifi repeaters that will work with the Express, with a reasonable price around £50? Also will i loose much of my speed having just 1 repeater?

And one last thing. If their is no wifi repeater that works with the express, is it possible to have another express as the repeater or does it only work like Extreme > Express?

thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hypothetically, any device that supports WDS would work. But they seem to work better if using devices of the same brand.

You can do this with two Airport Express devices.

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Hypothetically, any device that supports WDS would work. But they seem to work better if using devices of the same brand.

You can do this with two Airport Express devices.
Okay thanks. Would i loose much bandwidth?

Last edited:

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
If they are the newer N speed model and you use "Extend a wireless network" you will lose around 15%.
Ok thanks :)

1 last thing, Would it be best to place it halfway between my bedroom and the router downstairs or have it in my bedroom where i have most my tech that needs the extra signal?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok thanks :)

1 last thing, Would it be best to place it halfway between my bedroom and the router downstairs or have it in my bedroom where i have most my tech that needs the extra signal?
I would put it halfway where there is still a good signal to "extend".

jordan.1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
In my room im only getting about 40% of my wifi signal from my Airport Express downstairs. Im on 30Mb. Instead of buying another express to extend the signal if i was to upgrade to 60MB, should that double the bandwidth in my room? Because at the moment netflix has to buffer afew times but with double the speed but still at 40% signal. Should that stop netflix buffering?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In my room im only getting about 40% of my wifi signal from my Airport Express downstairs. Im on 30Mb. Instead of buying another express to extend the signal if i was to upgrade to 60MB, should that double the bandwidth in my room? Because at the moment netflix has to buffer afew times but with double the speed but still at 40% signal. Should that stop netflix buffering?
I like your logic. :D Maybe. It is hard to say. If the Netflix buffering because of a bad (40%) connection, then no amount of extra speed at the front end will help. If the connection is error free and good, but just a little slow, maybe the speed increase at the front end would help.

If you are on Mountain Lion you might tinker with this wi-fi diagnostics tool to get a feel signal and noise ratios in the signal upstairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.