Airport Express - Need a wifi repeater?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jordan.1, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jordan.1 macrumors newbie

I have a Airport express set up downstairs as my main router. In my room upstairs i only get around 40% of the signal.

Can anyone recommend any good Wifi repeaters that will work with the Express, with a reasonable price around £50? Also will i loose much of my speed having just 1 repeater?

And one last thing. If their is no wifi repeater that works with the express, is it possible to have another express as the repeater or does it only work like Extreme > Express?

thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hypothetically, any device that supports WDS would work. But they seem to work better if using devices of the same brand.

You can do this with two Airport Express devices.

3. jordan.1, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. Would i loose much bandwidth?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If they are the newer N speed model and you use "Extend a wireless network" you will lose around 15%.

5. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks :)

1 last thing, Would it be best to place it halfway between my bedroom and the router downstairs or have it in my bedroom where i have most my tech that needs the extra signal?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would put it halfway where there is still a good signal to "extend".

7. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got yaaaa

Thanks for all your help dudeee :cool:

8. jordan.1 thread starter macrumors newbie

In my room im only getting about 40% of my wifi signal from my Airport Express downstairs. Im on 30Mb. Instead of buying another express to extend the signal if i was to upgrade to 60MB, should that double the bandwidth in my room? Because at the moment netflix has to buffer afew times but with double the speed but still at 40% signal. Should that stop netflix buffering?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I like your logic. :D Maybe. It is hard to say. If the Netflix buffering because of a bad (40%) connection, then no amount of extra speed at the front end will help. If the connection is error free and good, but just a little slow, maybe the speed increase at the front end would help.

If you are on Mountain Lion you might tinker with this wi-fi diagnostics tool to get a feel signal and noise ratios in the signal upstairs.