Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hello, I may just be being paranoid but my internet is going quite slow.

Can I tell if someone is using my Wi-Fi?

I should be the only one on, is there a way to check how many connections are taking the internet at any one time, or is airport automatically protected against computers other than your own accessing the point.

Thank

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
WHy bother checking? Just change your password to somehting else if you think they figured it out, or reset the router all over and change the name of the network and the password. If you havent set up encryption than maybe you shuld start there.

Kevin

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
you should definitely have an ecrypted network going...it saves you the hassle of worrying about who else might be using it.

do you know how to encrypt your network? if you need help, just shout.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for your offer of help.

I really don't want to have to enter a password every time i turn on my computer - is this possible?

Also does it waste battery power having these options on?

Thanks

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD

I really don't want to have to enter a password every time i turn on my computer - is this possible?

Thanks

for my router, i enter the password the first time for each wireless mac, then you can choose to store the password in your keychain. you don't have to enter it at all after that.

encryption does not waste battery power, FYI.

hope this helps!

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Thanks, again.

I'm in Airport Admin utility now which security should i use WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise or WEP.

Then it will ask me for my password?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT

Thanks

No, you won't need to enter a password everytime to go online. I doubt it takes anymore battery, at least, nothing you would notice.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Thanks, again.

I'm in Airport Admin utility now which security should i use WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise or WEP.

Then it will ask me for my password?

WEP is what i use...you will enter a password (it will give you the criteria, such as length, etc.)...you'll enter a password, and you should have an option to save the password to your keychain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.