Airport Express, Netgear DG834G & X360

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rossgumbrell, Aug 5, 2007.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Hi All

Im currently using a Netgear DG834G (ADSL Modem Router) to wirelessly send out my broadband signal around the house. This used to be wired with my Xbox 360 which i used it to access XBL.

Weve had to move the router, reason being that we live in a fairly big house and the signal of the router didnt reach my mums office. The router is now in the bedroom next to me, directly above my mums office, so she gets good wireless signal, i get good wireless signal, and the signal stretches to my step dads office fairly well, only problem is, it is no longer wired to my X360, and so now, i can't access XBL. :(

I bought and Airport Express today, i use it with Airtunes connected to my surround sound system (sure beats the speakers of the little 12" Powerbook G4 ya know!) and il be using it next year as a wireless router in my uni room.

What im trying to do, is plug the X360 into the Airport Express so it can connect to XBL. Trying to use the Airport Express as a wireless - wired bridge, or an access point for the X360. Im not fussed about extending the range of the wireless network or anything as i can appreciate that my router doesnt support WDS.

Ive been searching the internet all afternoon on this and i cant find anything. Most articles are from 2005 and havnt been too much of a help.

Is it even possible to do this atall!?! If so does anyone know how!? Il be forever gratefull. I payed for my XBL subscription just 3 months ago, is kinda bugging me that i wont be able to get it back up online untill im off to uni in September (assume the uni allows the use of networked gaming consoles!)

Look forward to your replies all! :eek:

:apple::apple::apple:

2. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can't say for sure but I don't believe that you can use an airport express like that.

My recommendation is to get one of the systems to a send a network signal through your power lines. You plug one into your router and an AC plug and then you get a second box that you can plug into any outlet in your house to get a wired network connection. I think they're about $80 in the US. I don't know anything about this model but it's the same thing I'm talking about.

4. e.m. macrumors 6502

Does anyone know for sure if this is possible or not? I am also thinking of potentially doing this same setup.