Airport Express network extension

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by plazarou, Jan 19, 2014.

1. plazarou macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I suspect I already know the answer to this, but please indulge me. I'm in a university where the wireless network uses MSCHAPv2 PEAP authentication. This is fine for iOS devices and computers, but not my PS3.

Is it possible to use an Airport Express to connect to the university network wirelessly, then share that connection using a different security standard, such as plain WPA2 PSK, for the PS3 to use? Probably a foolish question, but curiosity has the better of me.

Thanks.

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

No. PEAP authentication requires certificates, there is no Trust Store in the Airport Express so it cannot connect to a network that uses MSCHAPv2 PEAP. Further, in "client" mode, the AP Express cannot create a second WiFi network for your PS3, it uses its only WiFi network connection to join the existing WiFi (which it can't due to the authentication method). Personal WiFi devices tend to be designed to connect to "public" networks which are either restricted by modem MAC address (such as cable internet service), or simple password authentication (DSL often uses this method)

However, if you have a Mac or PC that can connect to the wireless network, and it has an Ethernet port, you should be able to use Connection Sharing to enable clients connected to the Ethernet port to use the PC or Mac's WiFi connection to the university WiFi network. If you put an AP Express on the Ethernet port, it can "create" a private WiFi network for your PS3 and other devices, and\or you can connect an Ethernet switch to the Mac's Ethernet port and connect multiple Ethernet devices (including AP Express) to it. In this case, the Mac or PC would in effect be your private router using the university WiFi as the WAN side of the network, and the Ethernet and AP Express as the private network. I have done this in Hotels (without the PEAP authentication) to create a WiFi for my iPhones and Apple TV. The PC or Mac is still able to operate properly to access the internet via the WiFi, and the device(s) connected to the Ethernet port will gain access to the internet via the PC or Mac's connection sharing.

If you want this to be a dedicated setup (i.e. not reliant on your laptop to share the connection), simply buy a cheap PC or Mac to be a dedicated "router" and leave it running. For instance, an older Mac mini with Ethernet and WiFi might run you $100 - $200. If you don't mind losing the connection, or setting it up each time you return to your dorm room, then skip the dedicated route but you will need to reconfigure connection sharing each time you want to use the PS3.

The thing is, PC and Mac can share a WiFi connection via Ethernet, but cannot create a hotspot to share with WiFi connection wirelessly. That would require multiple WiFi radios, and generally PC and Mac only support a single active WiFi card.