Airport Express network question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by geoffshep, Apr 10, 2009.

1. geoffshep macrumors member

OK - so I think I know how the Airport Express works - I can play music from my iMac, or from my macbook, wirelessly through the stereo.

But - can anyone tell me please, can I use the macbook to access the imac library, sort of remotely so that I don't have to have all of the same music on the macbook?

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

next time use MRoogle, or even Google to find your answer.

go ahead and goto iTunes and click preferences. tell me if there's anything there along the lines of sharing your library.

you can do the same thing with iPhoto.

3. geoffshep thread starter macrumors member

OK - point taken. I had done some searching. So am I going to share my imac library to my macbook and then stream it from the macbook to the express, or can I select music using the macbook and it streams direct from imac to express?

4. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Nope, you'd do it the first way. Airport Express will show up as a speaker option on the lower right of iTunes. You'll name them, "family room speakers" or something. So, step one: from your Macbook, connect to your iMac's shared library... step two: select "family room speakers" from the dropdown... step three: play music.

Voilà!