Airport Express networking?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EngBrian, May 22, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

I am a little behind the times when it comes to networking so although my setup is working fine now I need some help for some upcoming upgrades. I currently go from my cable modem through a wired router (linksys) to my PC. I am getting a macbook when my tax return comes in and I would like to get an Airport Express for the airtunes capability along with its size. Another note is that my PC does not have a wireless card so keep that in mind when answering the questions.

So not really knowing how these things work bear with me:

1) If I connect the airport to a lan port on my router will it work as a wireless access point for the macbook or does it need to be connected directly to the modem.

2) I realize that networking a mac with a PC can sometimes be a challenge (correct me if I am wrong) but if I do the above connection will the two computers be able to network?

3) If I utilize the printer usb port on the airport will the PC still be able to use it through the wired connection (I guess this depends on the answer to 2)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i believe it should act as a WAP, both Macs and PCs can share the same wireless connection, and you should be able to share printers :)

3. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

My PC doesn't have a wireless card though...

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you plan to hardwire your PC to the router, that should make it even easier!

My mum connects her toshiba notebook to the home network just about every day, and it works quite happily.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless I'm totally mistaken (which is possible), if you do this, you may need to run the Airport Utility and set the Airport's Internet connection to "bridged" mode. That setting tells the Airport to act as an access point instead of a router.

If it ends up acting as a router (which you don't want), the Express will create its own separate internal network for the wireless devices that connect to it (i.e. your new MacBook). As your wired PC won't be on that network (it'll be on the network created by your wired router, which is external to the Expresses network), that may make it difficult for your PC to reach the Express + MacBook.

6. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

With the express there would be no option to connect the PC to the same router which is a problem and I don't have the money or need to go up to the extreme. It would just be nice if the express could do what I wanted.

Hmm that is an interesting development. As I said above it isn't a necessity to have the two networked but it would be a nice feature.

7. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm or deny Aristobrat's statements or have experience doing what I am proposing with the same (or similar) tech. or answer some of my other questions.