Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hi,

I have a new macbook air with 10.8 Mountain Lion, a standard router and is planning on buying a speaker (Nad Viso 1) and need an airport express to get it wireless.

Would i be fine if i went with the A1264 model? Or would you definitely recommend getting the newest A1392 model?

I do not need the extra Ethernet port at all. I just want to be as future proof as possible without spending extra money on something i do not need. What i am afraid of, is of course then mavericks is out, then i am already left behind, or do you think that the A1264 version would work with Mavericks?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For your purposes, I would get the older one. IMO it is better because there is no power cord to deal with. It is just a standard 802.11b/g/n router and will work with Mavericks or anything else for years to come.

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Great to hear, just picked up a used A1264 for what is equivalent to 44$ shipped

Knisse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
I was sad when they got rid of the awesome design. Wonder why they changed it.

I reckon it was starting to get difficult to fit extra add-ons, like the extra ethernet port. Or perhaps they just want to change everything once in while to appear like a new exciting product.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
I've had the old and the new and noticed no difference. But it's suppose to be better!!

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Isn't it rumored that a new Airport Express will be announced this month? May be worth the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.