Airport Express new or used?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EarthNeutron, Jul 26, 2012.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hi there,

So I bought my AirPort Express in march 2012. 2 Weeks ago it stopped connecting and the orange LED was constantly on (hardware failure). So, I sent it to an authorised Apple service.

Today I got my AirPort Express back, but I'm confused whether they fixed my old one or changed it with a used one. First of all, the box looks like sh... It's all dirty, with a bunch of stickers glued to it. Then, when I looked at the router, there wasn't the scratch on the reset button I previously had. The serial number was different from the one on the box. This should mean that I got a different router, but when I launched AirPort utility on my Mac, it automatically recognised my old wi-fi network, which should point to the fact that it's my old router.

Anyway, they could've changed the box that's why I have a different serial number.

SO, what do you think? Is it my old router or a used one?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Maybe it's the old one, maybe it's not. It really doesn't make much difference. If it has the same configuration as the one you sent in, they must have moved the configuration values off the one you used to have to the one you got.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would guess they sent you a refurbished model.

4. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Ok so fortunately I had a picture of the box, before it was sent to service. The serial number from the box remained unchanged, while the one on the device is different.

So yeah, they probably changed it to a refurb model.