Airport Express - Newbie Help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jetter, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Jetter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

A simple newbie question for you experts:

I have a desktop PC without wireless capabilities, and a brand spanking new Macbook. I want to buy a router that will allow me to share my internet connection with both.

So I need a wired connection to my desktop, plus a wireless connection to my Macbook. Does the Airport Express accomplish this?

(I've read that the Express is dead simple to set up... which is what I'm after in a router, as Ive never hooked one up before.)

Thanks for your help!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no the Express only has one Ethernet port, and you'd have to use it for the wireless sharing and will have no way to wire a cord to your desktop

3. chscag macrumors 65816

Hi:

You do not have to purchase an Apple router (Airport Express unit), any wireless router will do just fine. Any new router you buy (or issued to you by your ISP) should have the latest specifications.

I'm currently using a D-Link 624 wireless router issued to me by Verizon (my ISP) and it works fine for providing a wireless connection to my MacBook, my daughter's Toshiba notebook, and by ethernet cable to my Windows desktop.

Regards.

4. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I dig the Airport Express for 2 reasons: small and simple, and I get wireless printing/streaming audio without any extra setup.

You could a) put a wireless card in your desktop (not too expensive or hard to install) or, b) get a full Airport Base Station, or c) get a non Apple branded wireless router. I had a Buffalo router, if you can find one, they are fantastic.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Would it be possible for you to just buy a USB network adapter for your computer? It would save you about $80 as apposed to getting the Airport extreme, but if not, you can just use nearly any router in the market, and they should all work fine.

6. Jetter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I have a D-link 615 here that's new in the box, but I've been reading about potential issues with Macs - that they can be tricky to set up, etc. Which is why I was hoping for the Express - I hear theyre pretty dead simple to set up on PCs and Macs - and simplicity is important to me as I've never dabbled with routers before.

Now I'm debating whether I put the time into trying to get the d-link going, or cough up for the extreme. The extreme is so darn pricey though.

7. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Alternatively, if you still want an Airport, and aren't a hardcore internet user who would make full use of 802.11n, buy a last model Airport. $55 at OWC. Link

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I've been using routers since the Netgear MR314 (2002), and I don't think the Express is any more or less difficult to set up.