Airport Express - no GBit/s Ethernet Support

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hachre, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hachre, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

hachre macrumors 6502a

hachre

I recently found out that the Ethernet ports on the Airport Express Units are 100 MBits only, isn't that quite a ****up?

With a Time Capsule I am able to get 15-18 MB / sec via the WiFi, but the Airport Express, even though it has the same Air-capabilites, is limited to around 11 MB / sec through its Ethernet port...

I hope they will get upgraded with Gigabit soon, I will replace all in my household... Is there any info on when it might happen?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The AirPort Express has only one Ethernet port, most probably used to connect a modem or a router (which in itself is connected to the modem) to get an internet and LAN signal.

The AirPort Extreme has three Gigabit Ethernet ports.

3. hachre thread starter macrumors 6502a

hachre

I'm using the Express as WiFi Access points... I have a Gigabit Ethernet network and the Expresses are standing around to provide Wifi. That's why it would be nice if they could leverage the 11MB+ that the Gbit Ethernet connection supplies so I can reach the same 15-18 MB / sec over Wifi that I can with a Time Capsule :)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, jetzt versteh' ich.
    Apple denkt wohl kaum an solche Situationen und belässt es lieber bei dem billigeren 10/100 Ethernet Hafen (ob Google Translate jenes Wort für "port" genommen hätte?).

Anyway, I have the AEBS and I only get around 7MB/s at maximum. What version of the AirPort Express do you use?

5. hachre thread starter macrumors 6502a

hachre

Also the Express is the only one that supports AirTunes, which is also a feature I use with most of the ones I have...

I own the newest version of the Airport Express, with 5GHz non-simultaneous capabilities...

I would consider upgrading to several Airport Extremes if they provided the AirTunes functionality, but they don't :(

I changed the title to make it more clear what this is about :)