Airport Express: No NAT Port Mapping Protocol?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vader, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have an airport express that I am using on with my college network. Things work fine, but, with Azureus, I am unable to share anything. I am using a campus p2p network, so it should work fine. I noticed there is a setting in Azureus to enable UPnP. It says I have to also enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol in the airport admin utility. The option to enable it and any options on the page are grayed out. I have the latest version on Tiger, and my airport firmware is current. Is this feature only offered with the extreme base station?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've port mapped just fine using the Airport Express. They might call it forwarding in the Airport Admin Utility.

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Yeah, I searched, and saw that people had done it, but it seemed like it was only on extremes, not expresses.

Anyway, I took a screenshot, are these options supposed to be grayed out?

Attached Files:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can set up port forwarding without using uPnP.

5. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Ok, I will try setting up port forwarding, was hoping this way would work and save me the hassle.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In all honesty, I don't trust uPnP.

I prefer to mange my routers manually.

7. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

I tried to do the port forwarding manually, but when I tried to update the airport, it failed to update, and then the airport stopped working, and my neither the Airport Admin Utility or the Airport Utility. I reset the airport (physically), and when I started it back up and did a manual setup, the port forwarding options were available, so now everything works perfectly!

Also, I figured out the original problem, I had Connection Sharing off (Bridge mode), that is why I couldn't see the other settings. New problem is that I can't see anyone else's shared iTunes libraries. When I turn it back to bridge mode, I can see other iTunes Libraries.

Bringing me to my new question, can I get both at the same time?

8. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I believe that iTunes is limited by Apple to only share on your local network, in order to keep record execs happy. When you're in router mode I guess you're putting yourself on a different network in the eyes of the Airport, and is therefore not passing the iTunes sharing protocol. Doh!

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iTunes Sharing works only for machines on the same subnet.

10. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Okay, well, thanks for the help. It is a shame that I can't share (torrents) and share (iTunes) at the same time.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I understand what you mean now

You wanted the wireless router to act as a bridge to your static IP instead of a DHCP server that would assign you your own private addresses. You can share music when bridged since you'd be on the same subnet as your peers but you'd get no port forwarding.

Can you still forward ports while bridging? I don't see a need for NAT either if you're not going to be using DHCP.

12. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

When I am bridging, the port forwarding options and NAT options all go away.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought, by definition, all ports were exposed on the single connected computer in a bridging environment.