Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
I got an Airport Express, and my Powermac and Powerbook are loaded with Airport Extreme cards. My house is now "wireless" I have "Comcast" cable as my IP. My signal is constantly and daily dropping to 48 Mps and down to 1 Mps, internet becomes as slow as Dial-Up. I live in an apartment, and I have moves the airport in 2 different locations in my living room. What could be wrong?

Please advice me on how to troubleshoot...

Thank you!

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
in Fact...

What is most ridiculous about the whole thing is that the Airport was even worse when it was only 12" inches away from my powermac. The signal would drom to nothing.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
P2P examples. :)

Hmm, this is tricky. Have you tried the usual troubleshooting methods of unplugging the modem and the Express for half a minute and then plugging them back in again? It's important to wait the thirty seconds to let your ISP reset your connection (which it should do).

Also, what sort of security do you have enabled on your network?

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
Thanks

mad jew said:
P2P examples. :)

Hmm, this is tricky. Have you tried the usual troubleshooting methods of unplugging the modem and the Express for half a minute and then plugging them back in again? It's important to wait the thirty seconds to let your ISP reset your connection (which it should do).

Also, what sort of security do you have enabled on your network?

I tried that. Everyday. Is not working.

No P2P aps.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, how is the network secured? You can find out in the AirPort Admin Utility by clicking on Change Wireless Security.

While you're there, have a go at changing the channel from the drop down list. If the problem is interference then changing the channel could help. :)

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
That souds like an option.

mad jew said:
Well, how is the network secured? You can find out in the AirPort Admin Utility by clicking on Change Wireless Security.

While you're there, have a go at changing the channel from the drop down list. If the problem is interference then changing the channel could help. :)

How do you change the channel again?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Open AirPort Admin Utility in your Utilities folder, select your base station, type in the password and then select a new channel from the drop-down list at the bottom of the opening page. :)

gusanitoverde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Northern California
Thanks. I tried that now. Let's see if anything happens.

mad jew said:
Open AirPort Admin Utility in your Utilities folder, select your base station, type in the password and then select a new channel from the drop-down list at the bottom of the opening page. :)

Thanks so much for all your help. And for taking the time.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.