Airport Express not affecting signal strength

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by codemaster1588, Apr 14, 2011.

1. codemaster1588 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Airport Extreme Base station connected to an ADSL modem. This is set up and seems to be working fine. I also have an Airport Express to go in between the base station and my computer to extend the range as my computer reads about 30%. However, despite appearing to be working (green light is on on both devices) there is no change in signal strength.

I set up the base station to create a wireless network, and set the express to join existing network, then extend the range, all with Airport Utility. I have moved the express to different plug sockets at varying distances between the computer and the base station but to no effect. My computer can just about connect to the internet but my PS3 which has a lower reception (about 20%) can't get online. I moved the PS3 next to the base station router to check it wasn't a PS3 issue and it worked fine but this is not a long term solution for me.

So the only problem is why laptop/PS3 seem to still be connecting to the base station which is further away, rather than the express? I saw something about WDS mode, which while I know what it stands for, I don't understand how this is different to what I have set up already.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. codemaster1588 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha - fixed it! I had to create a WDS network, specifying the base station as the main and the express as a remote access point.

My Mac now has a stronger signal and registers the 2 access points as the same network - That'll be due to apple products working seamlessly with each other :)
    PS3 now scans both access points with the same name, one with 20% signal, one with 80% so I can just use the stronger one.

Internet works on everything and its all cool.:D