Airport Express not seen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kge420, Feb 8, 2009.

1. kge420 macrumors member

kge420

I have an Airport Express and when I go to configure it it does not appear on the list of available networks. I have the AC plugged in and ethernet cable from my router attached to it. I get nothing! The light on the AE is green but my iBook G4 can't see it. From what I've read this looks to be a fairly simple plug and play operation. Am I missing something? Faulty unit? Thanks, Keith

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is it set to broadcast the SSID? If not, you'll have to tell your Mac the name of the Airport Express by typing it in - you wouldn't see it in a list.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Do a hard reset; press down the AirPort Express reset button until the status light flashes green to orange rapidly.

After that happens, allow the unit to restart (solid orange for ~30 seconds to either flashing orange or solid green)

Making sure your wireless is on, open AirPort Utility and you should see it.

4. kge420 thread starter macrumors member

kge420

I can't access it to make any changes. btw my main reason for this is to use AirTunes.

5. kge420 thread starter macrumors member

kge420

Should hard reset be done with the ethernet cable attached or not?

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

In my experience having the cable attached is fine.

7. kge420 thread starter macrumors member

kge420

Jack, thanks for your help. The hard reset got the AE visible and I went through the steps and when finished the "waiting for restart" appeared. After this; no go. I feel like I/m a setting or two off on this. Any other advice would be appreciated.

8. coopermac macrumors member

There are a few posts on this and it seems to be a general problem.

I have been trying to set up an Express to extend my Airport network coverage without success so far. All works fine if the Express is connected via ethernet but have been unable to connect to it wirelessly. I'm not sure whether the lastest "n" enabled Express is where the fault is as the Apple guides still refer to the older Express only.

Can anyone else confirm they have managed to extend their network via the new (or older) Express wirlessly?

9. kge420 thread starter macrumors member

kge420

Problem solved. Thanks for your help, Jack. I had to go to the Linksys software to grant permission to the AE to join the network.