Airport Express not working with existing wireless network (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lavaghman, Apr 12, 2011.

1. lavaghman macrumors newbie

Hi there

Bought a Airport Express and went through the wizard config. Have an existing WIFI network in my home and just want to use the AE to steam music from my itunes to my stereo wirelessly.

In the config setup choose the 'join an existing network' and the 'connect to this network wirelessly' options.

When doing config have a ethernet cable going from my wifi modem to the AE. Finish config, green light on the AE, play music via itunes, all works fine.

However I don't want to leave the AE connected to my modem using ethernet cable (modem not in same place as stereo's normal location) so I unplug the ethernet cable from the AE and straight away it stops working and the light changes to orange. I've tried lots of unplugged and rebooting but no joy. This should work shouldn't it?

When the AE is unplugged from the wifi modem the airport utility can never find it so it must be something to do with the wireless. I'm using the same WiFi password in airport utility that works for everything else fine (iphone, other PC, Mac Book).

Any ideas!? Really appreciate any advice, it's been driving me crazy for about 3 hours now! Attached a few screen shots!

Thanks, JMcG

Attached Files:

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

instead, connect the AX via ethernet cable to your computer for the setup.

there seems to be an IP address conflict

[​IMG]

the IP address for the AX should be 10.0.0.x

i suggest you hard reset the unit, run the ethernet cable to your Mac, then run the setup wizard again.

btw, if ever possible you should use WPA2 network rather than WEP - it's not very safe at all.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

not should be, can be.
    most non apple routers default to 192.168.0.x, but 192.168.1.x is perfectly valid.
    apple defaults to 10.0.0.x

actually anything 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x is a valid address, as they are not routable over the internet.

have you rebooted the main router also? i find this sometimes clears things up.

for the security, are you sure you're WEP? and not WPA?

4. lavaghman thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

Okay guys, many thanks - finally success! :D

Did it all again this time with ethernet cable connected to the computer directly but didn't work wirelessly again.

Logged into my WIFI modem (an ordeal in itself finding the username and pwd for that!) and changed my security to WPA2. I've had a WIFI modem for about 4 years and default must have set it up as WEP at the time.

Hard reset the AE again, connected to computer with ethernet cable, went through setup, all okay so far.

Unplugged the AE power, rebooted the wifi modem, plugged back in the AE power with no ethernet , gave it a couple of min and VOLA green light comes on and it works from itunes wirelessly!

Incidentally my IP is still 192.etc.

Many thanks for the tips guys, finally got there :)