Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

singaporescott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 4GB RAM running OS X 10.4.11.

I connect to the internet wirelessly using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I do not have -- nor have I ever had -- a problem connecting to the internet on my MacBook.

Today I bought an Airport Express 802.11n for the sole purpose of playing my iTunes music on my home stereo wirelessly from my MacBook.

I do not wish to replace my Linksys router; I want to use the Airport Express on my existing wireless network to stream my music.

However, no matter what I seem to do, I cannot get this set-up to work (and I am about to toss the Airport Express off my balcony). Perhaps some kind soul can lend me a hand...

When I plug in the Airport Express to the power and connect it to my stereo (using the Line Out port) the Airport Express flashes green once, then turns solid amber for 2+ minutes, then flashes amber continuously.

Then when I run the Airport Utility (that I installed from the CD that came with the Airport Express) it says "Discovering Apple Wireless Devices" and then after a few moments says "Airport Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devices. Please make sure the Apple Wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan to try again." I have clicked "Rescan" over and over and over again, but to no avail.

My laptop is right beside the Airport Express and the Linksys router, so that cannot be the problem.

I've tried repeatedly to reset the Airport Express (with a paperclip, both plugged-in and unplugged per the manual) but that does not seem to help at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my MacBook to recognize the device and then configure it for use in my home?

Thank you very much, Scott

P.S. I have also upgraded the firmware on my Linksys router to the most up-to-date thinking that might have something to do with it, but apparently not.

singaporescott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Hi Ice-Cube, thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, there is no "new Airport network" under my wireless connection. The only wireless networks that appear there are my own (being sent from my Linksys router) as well as other wireless networks that are present in my apartment building (from other residents' wireless networks).

Am I doing something wrong? Any more ideas?

Thank you, Scott

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
They can be a bit tricky. When you reset it with the paper clip the first ten seconds will reboot the device and the next ten will restore factory settings. I suggest you hold it in for about 30 seconds to make sure. Then scan again on your mac.

singaporescott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Thanks for the tip, jgunn. I did as you suggested (held the paperclip there for 30 seconds -- one quick green light when you plug the AE in, then 30 seconds of flashing amber lights, then it goes solid amber).

- I tried searching for the AE wirelessly on my MPB -- no luck.

- I then retried the exercise with the AE connected via ethernet cable to my MBP -- also no luck.

I am starting to think I need to return the AE to Apple. Either that, or pitch it off my balcony...

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
did you update your airport utility software. Check under your mac updates. Also try the airport admin utility. This is more high level app but could help.

Also what are you using on your mac for the network settings.

just a note: Your netgear settings don't matter at this point. Tour express should be working as it's own router. It's not on your network yet, you need to first see the express before you get it to join your network.

Umm one more thing. Make sure your mac network settings are the same as your "N" router. It by default is set to G even on the later ones. You need to configure that separately. definately check that

Let me know how you go.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
i was just about to ask the same question! i have this same problem and it is a pain in the ass! i managed to fix it by doing the rest on the APE then keep scanning and rescanning really quickly on your MBP, mine found it after awhile. then you can set it up. My only problem is when i turn the plug off, and then back on in the morning i need to reset up my express, another pain in the ass.

and just to ask my own question on this thread umm how can i/ why cant i 'extend my network'? i have a home network that works fine but when i ask my express to 'extend my network' it just wont. Why?
cheers

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
i was just about to ask the same question! i have this same problem and it is a pain in the ass! i managed to fix it by doing the rest on the APE then keep scanning and rescanning really quickly on your MBP, mine found it after awhile. then you can set it up. My only problem is when i turn the plug off, and then back on in the morning i need to reset up my express, another pain in the ass.

and just to ask my own question on this thread umm how can i/ why cant i 'extend my network'? i have a home network that works fine but when i ask my express to 'extend my network' it just wont. Why?
cheers

I have the same problem and the reason why is it will only extend the wireless network if you have an apple router as the main router. It will do it for some other routers with a lot of network configuration but they have to be able to do WDS.

Yeah so I'm upgrading to a time capsule so I can use it to extend to my xbox360.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
from apples help pages:

Question: Can AirPort Express wirelessly extend ("repeat" or "rebroadcast") the network of a third-party access point?

Answer: No. But it can wirelessly extend the range of a WDS network that is being hosted by an AirPort Extreme Base Station or another AirPort Express.

nice......

singaporescott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Thanks to everyone for their assistance. After more hours spent trying to get this working this morning -- plus an hour on the phone to Apple Assistance in Sydney -- it was determined that my AX was faulty. I took it back to Apple today, they replaced it, and when I plugged the new one in it was immediately recognized, easily configured and I am now streaming iTunes wirelessly to my stereo. I realize this doesn't really help anyone else's (similar) problems, but I thought I'd update you on mine. Thanks again.

JC5280

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
I've tried repeatedly to reset the Airport Express (with a paperclip, both plugged-in and unplugged per the manual) but that does not seem to help at all.

I had the same issue and resolved it by realizing I overlooked one small detail...to reset the AX properly, it needs to be plugged in while inserting the paper clip. Amber light flashed quickly and then i was back to the default settings - where i needed to be to complete the proper install. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.