Airport Express on wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Simon R., Aug 5, 2007.

1. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Hi.

I have an Aiport Express connected to my stereo, to be able to play music wireless from my Mac Pro. This works fine, but I just got a Macbook Pro too, and I wonder if there is any way to connect the Airport wirelessly on my (wireless) network, so that all computers can access it for playback? I have a wireless accesspoint which I use for internet on my MBP, but obviously Airport can't connect to both the accesspoint and the Airport Express at the same time, so I can still be on the internet while playing back music. So as it is now I can either be online OR play back music wirelessly. Any way to get the Airport Express so I can do both at the same time?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

You have to make the airport express join your existing wireless network (the same network your mbp connects to for the internet. You can do that through the airport admin utility.

3. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Uhm yeah that should be possible, shouldnt it? But after I choose to let the Airport join my wireless network, it doesn't work anymore. It can't be seen by Itunes or anything and I have to reset it to get in contact with it again.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I had a couple of problem getting my express to connect at first. I reset and then connected to it, then told it to join my wireless network, and it never seemed to work. I got frustrated and left to go make myself a cup of tea, and when i came back it worked once my macbook joined the wireless network. Ever since then if ive ever had to reset it for whatever reason, i always leave it a few minutes even after the green light has gone on. For some reason the light seems to come on quite early. I think it's before its recieved its IP address from the DHCP server. Also is your wireless network secure, becuase i think i had to change which method of security i used.

5. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now it just flashes orange. I'll give it another shot.

6. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I got it working now. The setup utility assumed my WEP was 128-bit, when it is in fact 64-bit. I changed it to 40-bit in the setup utility, and then it could connect.