Airport Express or Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sketdansu, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sketdansu macrumors member

which will suffice for my needs? Express or Extreme?

I live in a split level home with 3 bedrooms and a den (each w/ comp)

2. JTA60288 macrumors member

The Express will be fine if you just need an access point/range extender. It can do AirTunes and hook your computers up to a wireless print setup but you can't do use the USB port for a hard drive and have network storage with the express.

3. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

why not get both? i have the AEBS and love it, but would also like an express somewhere in my place for airtunes/printing/etc

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You might want to do a little research regarding your G4 TiBook. I"m thinking the TiBooks came with a regular Airport card (11b). These cards cannot do WPA/WPA2 encryption. So you would have to either run WEP or unencrypted if you wanted the TiBook on the network. Alternatively, with the AExtreme, you could run a separate guest network that's unencrypted, or use ethernet.

Another option would be to use a USB-11g/n dongle for the TiBook, but something tells me the TiBooks had USB1.1.

5. sketdansu thread starter macrumors member

Yea the G4 is now just a glorified paperweight, it works but i don't use it anymore. Thanks for the input though. I am thinking of waiting for these much rumored new Time Machines coming in.