Airport Express or Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iono11200, Jul 17, 2014.

1. iono11200 macrumors member

I'm a new iMac owner. I'd like to gradually add to my system and make it all Apple. First item I'd like to get is a an Apple Router. We have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in our home and mostly do e-mail and web surfing. I Like the look of the Airport Express vs. the Airport Extreme. My question is will the Airport Express be best suited for my needs or should I be a bit more agressive and buy the Airport Extreme? Of course cost is a factor but I'd like to make the most sensible purchase that I can. Any and All suggestions are appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you can swing the cash, IMO the Extreme would be better for you simply because you mentioned you have the new iMac that supports 802.11AC wifi and the Express does not support that. AC will give you much better speeds within the network for file transfers etc.

Also, you can plug a cheap USB drive into the Extreme and use it for Time Machine backups.

If you are using any wired ethernet devices, the Express only supports 100BASE‑T vs the gigabit ethernet of the Extreme.

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

It all depends on how big the area is you want to cover with WIFI.
    The AExpress is ok for an apartment ~ 1200 sqft - exact coverage depends on you building materials.
    The AExtreme or Time Capsule will cover a much larger space.

As for your iMac backup I suggest getting a USB 3 disk and connect it to the iMac directly.

4. nephron8 macrumors regular

Does plugging hdd in extreme really turns it up in time machine ???

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, as long as it is the new tower shaped Extreme model.

6. nephron8 macrumors regular

Ohh.understood.I was trying to do same with 5th gen model.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... sorry. That is not supported on the fifth gen models.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also, despite there being work arounds for it they are highly unstable. I recommend that you consider the newer Extreme or Time Capsule for your next router.

9. Goodebar macrumors newbie

Goodebar

Power surge issue

My 2011 AirPort Extreme often goes off during a thunder storm, and takes several hours to reset. Now it will not turn on, but I do not know what the problem is? Help?

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am guessing it won't turn on due to the thunderstorm shocking it. Was it on a surge protector or a plain power strip?

11. Goodebar macrumors newbie

Goodebar

Power surge

It was on a strip with a surge protector. The Verizon modem that it was hooked to went off, but then back on in a minute.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How old is the surge protector? I ask because they lose protection everytime a power zap happens.

13. COrocket macrumors 6502

I've been doing this with a 5G extreme for quite some time and it has never given me any issues

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is only supported on the 6th gen. tower style Extremes. Some have gotten it working in Time Machine with various degrees of reliability on the older models.

15. Goodebar macrumors newbie

Goodebar

power surge

suddenly after being OFF for 3 days, my Airport extreme turned on when I plugged it in this morning...?

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My theory is that the repeated zapping from electrical brownouts and increased voltage has weakened capacitors in either the power adapter or AirPort itself. This causes the capacitors to leak and need to cool down before turning back on. It probably won't run for long like this so you will need to consider replacing it. If you have AppleCare on your Apple TV, Mac, iPad, or iPhone you are eligible for a free repair provided the AirPort was purchased up to two years before the purchase of that device.

17. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

I am also considering an Airport Extreme while BB has refurbs at a great price.
    All of my devices are N, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, an ApplyTV (wired) and then my sons Galaxy Note 2 & Tab2 10.1. I also have a mixed Windows Mac LAN.

The built in N wireless in my Uverse Gateway is not bad but coverage is poor.

Should I get the Extreme or pick up an Asus N900? All I really need is better coverage but the draw of future proofing with AC has me hesitating.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since the AC Extreme has beam forming and other neat features I would go with that over the N900. That being said, I am not sure what a BB refurbished Extreme carries in terms of warranty.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

90 days.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is iffy in my mind knowing the crappy service the Geek Squad does.

21. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Thanks guys, I read in another thread there is a way to register it with apple and get the 1yr refurb warranty. If that works I will buy and keep it, if not I can return to BB.