Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I'm having a hard time deciding what router to buy. I like the extreme router but it's a bit pricy. Im using comcast 12mpbs per second speeds. Would the apple airport express be good enough for streaming videos and movies? There will be three laptop users. At most, two at any given time I think.

Would the express be good enough or do I have to get the extreme to stream video and movies? (YouTube, age of empires gaming, apple tv, netflix)

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm having a hard time deciding what router to buy. I like the extreme router but it's a bit pricy. Im using comcast 12mpbs per second speeds. Would the apple airport express be good enough for streaming videos and movies? There will be three laptop users. At most, two at any given time I think.

Would the express be good enough or do I have to get the extreme to stream video and movies? (YouTube, age of empires gaming, apple tv, netflix)
I'm not sure what you mean by streaming in this scenario, but both the AirPort Express and the AirPort Extreme are capable of the same network speed. Only the AirPort Express will support streaming iTunes music to your stereo system, but not movies of any kind.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If you are only streaming off the Internet then the express will be fine. It can stream at over ten times your Internet speed. Range will be the biggest issue but if you don't need more than fifty feet and two rooms away, you should be good.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
If you are only streaming off the Internet then the express will be fine. It can stream at over ten times your Internet speed. Range will be the biggest issue but if you don't need more than fifty feet and two rooms away, you should be good.

Yes what I mainly do is stream movies(apple tv), netflix and play one game (aoe)

And a grand total of three users.

So wait they are the same speed? Cnets review of the express says "slightly slower speeds" or something.

Also my room would be upstairs in the attic. Sounds Kane guys, but it's a neat pad up there to myself. Do you think the range would be good do this?the router will be placed Right beneath me basically.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So wait they are the same speed? Cnets review of the express says "slightly slower speeds" or something.

Also my room would be upstairs in the attic. Sounds Kane guys, but it's a neat pad up there to myself. Do you think the range would be good do this?the router will be placed Right beneath me basically.

Yes, they're both the same speed. My AirPort Express has a great signal strength even if I walk outside, downstairs and down the driveway. Your signal strength may vary, depending on other sources of interference nearby.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Wow I'm now confused why the extreme is so much more expensive then the express, if they're the same speeds. So, now thats settled. Do you guys think the expresswill suffix for what I wanna do? (I think range is okay from what you guys mentioned.) I play one rts game, an otherwise we'll just be youtubinh and apple tv streaming.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wow I'm now confused why the extreme is so much more expensive then the express, if they're the same speeds.
They are two different devices that meet different needs, each having more features than just the speed of the WiFi network. It's not reasonable to expect them to be priced the same. Did you look at the specs on Apple's site?
Do you guys think the expresswill suffix for what I wanna do?
Yes, the AirPort Express will suffice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.