Airport express or extreme. Which do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chuckstones, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Chuckstones macrumors regular

Could someone please advise me as to wether I would benefit from either of these devices. And which would suit my needs most. Or do I need either!!?!

Basically. I own a new 21" imac connected via Ethernet to my modem router. An ipad ,iPhone 4s, Apple TV and Xbox all connected over wifi!
    Connection via wifi is pretty good considering it is only a DLINK DSL 2640R G wireless modem router!
    I very rarely lose connection. Even when playing games on my Xbox or downloading. I even transfered all my data across from my pc to new imac via wifi!
    The problem in having is mainly with my Apple TV with buffering issues and airplay (ipad or iPhone to TV)! Music starts to stutter and cut out after a few minutes. And sometimes the remote app struggles to connect or find my itunes library!
    Prior to getting Apple TV all my music was streamed to my AV system with no problems at all!
    I have phoned apple a few times for advice. But no one seems to really be able to explain the problem. Or tell me the difference between the express and extreme!
    I should point out that I live in the middle of a row of 3 small cottages in the country. And wondered if it could be that I'm picking or getting interference from a neighbours wifi.
    I'm quite willing to buy either of the mentioned routers if anyone thinks they might sort my problem out!
    All I know is that the extreme is supposed to be faster than the express!

Again I would appreciate any input. As I don't want to waste money unnecessarily!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Since you already have a wireless router you could also look in Homeplugs, they go up to 500Mbs and higher throughput ones are released.

[​IMG]

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If possible always use wired Ethernet on non portable devices.

4. Chuckstones thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks chaps!

So if I bought a home plug. Plugged it in near the Apple TV and connected via Ethernet. Would this sort my problem out?
    Or should I buy an extreme to sort out the speed issue?
    Basically. My router is in the room just above TV etc. no brick walls and got full wifi signal downstairs!

I am also wondering if having dual band could help issues as my current router is only G and not N.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Extreme and Express do the same thing but Extreme has two main advantages :
    1. It has a built-in 3 port Gigabit switch (Express only has 1 extra port)
    2. It has Gigabit (Express has Fast Ethernet)

Depending on what you want to connect and your layout either will do. Possibly the Extreme can handle more simultaneous connections, but I've not seen much evidence for this. I can't help you with Airplay but possibly Extreme is more stable.

I have 2 Expresses and 1 Extreme - I got the Extreme first, but now could get by with 3 Expresses. This is because I also have several additional Gigabit switches (Netgear GS108tV2). All my WiFi stuff talks to either Airport unit in a roaming config. All my fixed stuff goes via CAT6 LAN - including HDef Video (but not over Airplay)

PS Be aware that PowerLine will usually run at 15% of the rated data-rate (maybe less depending on your wiring). So 500Mbps will end up as 75Mbps actual. Enough for HiDef video ? If you have a LAN connection near your Apple TV then you don't need PowerLine - just get a switch.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think you won't have problems now you have a homeplug, I would just use it that way and if you are happy with it stay with it.

It is enough, my friend uses IPTV and has homeplugs, 200Mbs and they work.

But, if you rally have an old house or a lot of t-junctions the quality of the connection goes down.
    It also used to be difficult with 3 Phase Power Supply in houses since the phases are not connected but it seems this is also not much of a problem, the signal might be on the Common wire now and then there should be no problem.