Airport express or extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by khoward1972, Jan 1, 2014.

1. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

I need a new router so i am trying to figure out what one i need. My house is only 1400 sq ft one story and the router is about in the middle. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same question.

I was going to start a thread, but you saved me the trouble. :)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The new Extreme has the faster AC wireless protocol and also has faster hardwired ethernet ports. If you have newer devices like the 2013 Macbook Air that support AC wifi, this would give you faster file transfers inside the network. You also attache a USB drive to the new Extreme and use that for Time Machine backups.

If you don't need to faster AC wifi or the faster ethernet connection for Internal file transfers, the Express will work just fine for your needs.

4. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

^^^ I completely agree. While the Extreme is a nice piece of hardware, the Express is a surprisingly powerful, and robust little device. I currently have an express that has been operating flawlessly for a year now in both extreme heat and cold (100+ and <0 temps) on a construction job site. A friend of mine is also using one in an older two-story house with no connectivity/signal strength issues whatsoever.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I manage a large AirPort network and the Expresses are great little routers. Mine are set up as APs all connected to an Extreme, but some Expresses get hit with more than 25 clients all sucking bandwidth and some more than others. It can handle HD video streams while the other 24 are connected and running. It is really a great piece of hardware.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Express if you already have a good solution for Time Machine. Time Capsule if you want one device for wifi generation, Mac backup, and centralized connections of ethernet and USB for connecting printers..etc.

7. Bmoreguy03 macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

I have been using the express for about a year and I have about 8 clients on it. I will say if you are only doing 2 things at a time it works good. If you have a couple things going on such as downloading a torrent and streaming a movie it handles traffic horrible.

8. bdsmith63 macrumors member

bdsmith63

Extreme or Express with new Modem

I am wanting to replace my cable company's modem with my own. I have looked up the specs the company suggests, and it appears the ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem is a winner for the 50.0 service I get from Time Warner. If you have any suggestions on modems, I would appreciate this also.

My current router is a Buffalo 300GB N Router which has handled my home network very well. I stream wirelessly to laptops or iPads and iPhones, but my Media system is a PC connected via ethernet. I would like to upgrade the router to the Apple Extreme or Express. I have a Buffalo Linkstation LS-VL NAS also, but am wanting more connectivity in an easier manner to manage with the Apple Router.

I would like to know what anyone knows about the details on the interface for managing groups or users with only specific file or folders access using the Extreme or Express? do either of these products handle streaming well? and would I still need to keep my NAS?

Thanks!
    Brian

9. warvanov macrumors 6502a

You can pick up the previous generation AirPort Extreme refurbished from the online Apple store for $85. That' just $10 more than the refurbished AirPort Express, and $14 LESS than a new AirPort Express. The AirPort Extreme offers hard drive sharing and can act as a router for your wired devices, and may offer improved WiFi coverage for your house. Unless you need the AirPlay functionality of the Express, I would recommend the Extreme.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Apple Refurbished is quite possibly the best you can get. I have never seen one cosmetic defect and all refurbs have been working perfectly!