Airport Express or Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwabena, Aug 5, 2007.

1. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

Hi Guys, I need help making a decision here. I still use a 12" PowerBook G4 (waiting for the sub notebook). I'm looking forward to buying an airport express or airport extreme for my college room. Can someone help me out with this. Until yesterday, my mind was made up on the extreme and I realized that the express is cheaper and I can connect my speaker to it. But, the reviews I'm reading are breaking my heart. People are complaining of it dying in months. I'm looking forward to using it for like 2years. Will use it as a range extended later.
    Expect advice, please. Will be waiting. Thanks!

2. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

"College room." If you're looking for something just to give a wireless signal in a single room I'd go for the AirPort Express. If it dies in a couple of months.. well that's what the warranty is for. I just bought one for my new apartment but I'm in the middle of moving so I won't be able to use it until this weekend.

On a side note, my uncle has one of these. Though he doesn't use it for his wireless network, he does use it for AirTunes and it works perfectly. He's also had it for a number of months now, no problems.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Seconded on the express. I've had mine for over 2 years, plugged in 24/7. Runs like a charm, and airtunes works well too.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

agreed

I second the Express, especially in a dorm room. I've had mine on 24/7 for almost two years without a single issue.

5. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

All Positve

Ok, I Like The Replies I'm Getting

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Mine did die for seemingly no reason but I had it for a while.
    It just refused to turn on one day. I'd still recommend it, though and I plan to replace it with another APX or Extreme.

7. panda macrumors regular

express going great

my express is going on 2+ yrs, 24/7. no probs. its great :)

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Before you buy it, check to see if your college has wireless or not. Some colleges do and then you wouldn't need to spend the money.

Additionally, some colleges disallow the use of wireless routers and stuff. So check your handbook first. :)

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you have APP on any other Apple computer your Airport is also covered.

10. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Do you need to have purchased the Airport at the same as your Apple to be covered?

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Nope.

13. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

Ok, I'm In My 4th Year. My College Allows The Use Of Wireless Routers. And I Got My Own ISP giving me the connection. :)

14. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

15. MacGeek Pro macrumors member

I happen to have two AirPort Expresses currently. I had one throughout college and so did my wife (we just got married a few weeks ago). We've both had our respective Express for over two years working just fine nearly 24/7/365.

The only issue I've had, and I don't think this lies with the Express, is that when I upgraded from my old iBook to a Black MacBook (Nov. 2006 edition) AirTunes went to crap because of latency and time-outs. Even with all the AirPort updates for the MacBook, AirTunes still craps out for me. Works great on my wife's iMac.

For college life, get the Express. It'll wow your geeky friends with it's sleek form-factor ;)