AirPort Express or NETGEAR DGN2000?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by n459umb4786ers, Nov 2, 2009.

1. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

Does the NETGEAR DGN2000 have better performance than the AirPort Express or is the AirPort Express better (performance wise)?

I only have two computers at my home and I would like to browse the web and play online java games like RuneScape and watch shows on Fancast and things like that wirelessly and the main computer is wired since thats where the DSL modem is.

I can't choose because the Airport Express has a USB Port for a printer but the NETGEAR DGN2000 doesn't and I'm not sure which may have better performance. I don't need those extra Ethernet ports since I could just buy a splitter and connect one cable to the computer and the other to the AirPort Express.

So to sum up, I guess the performance is what will make me go with the NETGEAR DGN2000 instead of the AirPort Express or the AirPort Express instead of the NETGEAR DGN2000. The problem is just the USB Port for the printer.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I doubt you're going to see performance differences between them. Personally, I'm anti-Netgear, since I have had nothing but issues from their consumer products (switches excluded).

As for "splitting" the cable, you can't do that with Ethernet; this isn't a telephone line. You have to use a switch or a hub (switch preferred).

The USB port has no impact on the performance.

You're most likely going to experience a bottleneck at your WAN speed.

3. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry when I said " and which may have better performance" I meant the Wi-Fi's performance not the USB Port for the printer. I should of made that more clear. And thanks I'll go with the AirPort Express.

4. TonD macrumors newbie

Are you aware of the fact that the netgear has a built-in ADSL modem and hence is a whole different beast altogether? Basically you are comparing Apples and Oranges (no pun intended :p) here.

Do you need an ADSL modem? Yes? Get the netgear. No? Get the netgear model that lacks ADSL modem but is cheaper, or get the Airport Express.

I have no experience with the netgear (or any netgear products for that matter), but somehow I find it hard to imagine it will have worse signal strength than the Express, with the dual-external antennae versus none.

To be honest, the AirPort Express has been my first Apple product that slightly disappointed me. Then again, so do all wifi products by all manufacturers so far.